Sunday, January 7, 2007

Quick notes

I'm doing work at a local restaurant right now. It has good music and that reminds me of the radio in Puerto Rico. I'm not sure why, but they really like sound effects over there. When the DJ comes on there is a cornucopia of background noise. Automatic-weapon gunfire from a firing squad in an echo chamber greets inter-galactic warfare and synthesizer-generated drums behind an enthusiastic and expedited speaker. "Dooj dooj tsewww voom Ra-ra-ra-rah dio Pweerto Rico! Feliz Navidad. Doooj doooj tsewww." Yeah, I don't really know what the deal is. Then the music comes on and every song sounds exactly the same. I love Puerto Rico, I really do. I just don't understand who's engaging in combat at their radio stations or why. Maybe that's not just my business.

You know what is my business? What parts of my undergarments are unknowingly exposed. I can be very oblivious and this is something I need to work on. People say "Oh, you're traveling with all guys. They're going to look out for you." Umm. Yes and no. Yesterday, we had dropped off our laundry and I only had one shirt left. I had never worn it before and I don't really look in the mirror on the boat. All day, I walked around exposing part of a particularly flamboyant bra. "Everyone is SO friendly here!" I said. "Hey guys, I got a free purse at the sail maker's!" --- They responded: Yeah, I'll bet you did. Look in a mirror. Ahh, lovely.

On a similar note, when we were on Saba Rock, I was carrying several bags to relocate tables for a better place to work when my wrap skirt unraveled leaving me with little choice but to display my glorious sailing team underwear to an entire restaurant full of people. So as I was turning around in an attempt to cover up, I TRIPPED and FELL on my FACE. Luckily, most people were consuming food at the time and were actually not watching my every move. In the words of the batender, "Hey nice necklace, do you want some tequila?" These kinds of things just happen to me. One thing's for sure, I'm going to wear a full-body baggy jump suit when we get to Colombia. Yes, that's right. Full-body. Baggy. Jump. Suit. Maybe burlap so I look especially unfriendly and potato-like. I'm not saying potatoes are unfriendly, per se.