Sunday, March 11, 2007

2 Unrelated Things




1. When we spent the night in Gatun Lake, in the middle of the Panama Canal, we moored on this giant buoy. Brian took this excellent picture of me, looking like a dead elf, sleeping next to it. I don´t know why it´s so funny to me. Maybe because the buoy sort of looks like a boob.


2. Everything´s super dramatic when you´re fixing something at the bow or the mast and that can be amusing.
I was just thinking about this day when we were hove-to and Aaron and I were trying to get the bowlight working. The bow was smashing up and down. We´re getting smashed with waves. The wind is only blowing 30, but I walk like an 80-yr old to the bow, clipped in, hair flying around, arms full of tools. "AAAAARON, TAKE THIS SCREWDRIVEEERRRR," I say. "IT WILL HELP YOUUUU WITH YOUR TASSSSSSSSSSK."
"OKAYYYYYYY," he says. "THANNNNNKS. CAN YOU GET ME A SMALLER ONE, SOME WD40, PAPER TOWELS, A ZIP TIE, AND WAIT, HOLD THIS" "OKAYYYYYYYYY. BE RIIIGHT BACK." ... it´s just that everything´s so noisy and wet that you can´t help but feel like you´re out there saving the world. Same goes for being up the mast. I think the lesson here is: Discomfort plus hard of hearing = drama/extreme feelings of usefulness.
For the record, I think the world could be saved with a zip tie and some WD40.